Ever feel bored of eating yet another banana, rice cake or small handful of almonds as a snack mid-afternoon? Or do you ever fancy a small boost of energy in the morning that satisfies your sweet tooth? Well, after seeing so many recipes out there for raw protein balls, I thought I’d give it a go…
Nowadays people see something with protein slapped across the label and assume that it must be really healthy and packed full of goodness. I’m not saying that it doesn’t contain the right nutrients but that you have to be careful. Quite often they are extremely high calorie and contain unwanted sweeteners, sugars and other bad bits. Therefore when you can make your own snacks and goodies it is definitely the way forward as you can then trace the ingredients going in and manage your portion control!
Raw protein balls are a great option because they are small enough as to not increase your daily calorie intake by a huge amount, and they are big enough to quench any of those mid-morning tummy rumbles. Plus, they are DELISH!
Another added bonus with these mouthwatering bites is that the recipes out there are super adaptable, so you can cater for your own needs and tastes. You pretty much combine all the ingredients into a mixture, roll into small balls, refrigerate and eat!
The recipe below is a really simple one. I came home early from work one day and without any weighing scales I experimented with ingredients. Therefore for my version of these raw protein balls all you need is 1 tablespoon, 1 teaspoon, a bowl and all the ingredients!
Note: If your mixture is crumbly once you’ve combined all the ingredients, add a bit more melted peanut butter and honey (only a small bit at a time!) until it comes together.
Let me know your suggestions of what to add to these yummy protein balls and I may even give it a go myself next time. The possibilities are endless…
– 5 tbsp. porridge oats
– 2 scoops of protein powder
– 1 tbsp. organic flax seed
– 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
– 4 tbsp. peanut butter
– 2 tbsp. honey
– 1 tbsp. coconut oil
– 3 tbsp. seed, berry and goji berry mix
– 1 tbsp. chai seeds
– 1 tsp. vanilla extract
– Mix the porridge oats, protein powder, flax seed, cocoa powder, seed and berry mix and chai seeds in a bowl.
– In a separate dish add the peanut butter, honey, coconut oil and vanilla extract and blast in the microwave on full for about 10 seconds. Mix well.
– Add the melted ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix. Use your hands to combine.
– Split the mixture evenly into 14 small balls, roll and place on a plate to cool.
– Allow to set, about 15 minutes, before eating.
– Keep in a sealed container.