With my love of falafel ever growing I have recently discovered the easiest, fastest and yummiest recipe ever that is so satisfying that it will never leave you hungry. Falafel Burgers!
(I have even tried and tested this recipe on sceptical, meat-eating family and friends and they love it too!)
Going vegan for a month has been a lot easier than I first anticipated. Although at the start I sometimes forgot what I could and could not eat, once you get into the swing of things it is a breeze – that is if you like chickpeas, lentils, vegetables and the sort. I haven’t missed meat, I haven’t missed eggs and I haven’t missed dairy!
The main aim of my #VeganChallenge was to learn and discover new recipes that I wouldn’t usually try. I have absolutely loved searching for new alternative ingredients and creating dishes that are full of flavour and that even rival some of my all-time favourite meaty meals. I can honestly say there has not been a day I’ve gone hungry or wished that I could eat meat!
This falafel burger recipe is one that I will definitely be keeping in my repertoire after the month is up. It is great for either lunch or dinner and can be made in bulk for a few days if you want to add it to salads for work or lunch-on-the-go. Enjoy with a pita, wrap or on its own – it really is D E L I C I O U S!
Makes 12 small patties or 4 large burgers
400g can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
1 garlic clove (chopped)
Handful of flat-leaf parsley
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
½ tsp. harissa paste
2 tbsp. plain flour
2 tbsp. sunflower oil
1 small red onion (roughly chopped)
– Dry the chickpeas with kitchen towel. Tip into food processor with the onion, garlic, parsley, spices, flour and a little salt. Blend until mostly smooth.
– Shape mixture into 12 small patties or 4 large burgers using your hands.
– Heat the oil in a non-stick pan on medium heat.
– Add the patties to the pan and fry for about 3 minutes on each side (should turn golden).
– Serve with salad, pitas, a wrap or whatever else you fancy!