The single biggest reason for being unhealthy (in my opinion) is simplicity.
It seems way more simple to reheat a ready meal from the shops than to prepare it from scratch. It seems way more simple to order a deliveroo than go all the way to the shop to buy ingredients. It seems way more simple to chuck something in the oven and watch TV instead of standing over the hob for 30 minutes conjuring up a recipe.
However, homemade food tastes 100% better, it is 100% more healthy for you and is way more simple than you think!
Don’t get me wrong, making a pizza dough from scratch or preparing a roast with all the trimmings does take time. BUT a simple stir fry can take LESS time than waiting for a takeaway and leaves you feeling guilt free!
To tell you the truth I absolutely hate the pre-packed stir fry deals that you can buy at the supermarket. Although they are a good middle-man option if you really can’t be bothered, you quite often get the horrible ends of veggies in the mix – no thanks.
I’m going to show you an easy fix for a work-night dinner that can be made in a matter of minutes!
150g cooked and peeled king prawns
60ml Nando’s lemon and herb peri-peri sauce
Small handful of coriander (chopped)
Salt and pepper
Paprika (1 tsp. for the prawns/ 1-2 tbsp. for the stir fry)
½ red onion (sliced)
1 red pepper (sliced)
1 clove of garlic (crushed)
2 big handfuls of spinach
– Place the prawns in a bowl and add the peri-peri sauce, coriander, 1 tsp. paprika and salt and pepper. Stir and place in the fridge.
– Using a spiraliser cut your courgettes into long ribbons and prep the rest of your veg.
– Place a small frying pan and a large frying pan/wok on medium-high heat on the hob with a drizzle of olive oil in each.
– To the large pan add onion and pepper – cook until soft. Then add the garlic and pine nuts and stir fry for a further minute.
– Add the courgette and spinach and stir fry until the spinach has wilted.
– Add 1-2 tbsp. paprika, salt and pepper.
– Meanwhile add the peri-peri prawns to the small frying pan and heat through.
– Serve the stir fry in a bowl with the prawns on top and a wedge of lime.