Are you victim to making batch pasta dishes and eating it 4 days in a row? Bored of the same old recipes every week? Not in the mood to cook a fresh meal from scratch when you get home from work? I may have the answer…
When G and I visited Balance Festival in May we signed up to trial ‘Hello Fresh’, a food delivery service that provides you with every ingredient you will need for a meal in the correct portions, pre-prepared in a box on your doorstep!
I had heard of the service before but had never tried it because quite simply I love cooking and so am probably not swayed by the need for ease and simplicity in my life. However, I was pleasantly surprised.
There are a variety of different plans you can sign up to from Family Boxes, Classic Boxes and (what we opted for) the Rapid Boxes. This option allows you to rustle up tasty meals in less than 20 minutes and you are able to choose from 4 meals each week. I was sceptical but was willing to give it a go.
With recipe cards in each box, you receive a step-by-step guide on how to cook each meal with photos, method and all the dietary information. I was able to arrive home from work and quite literally chuck everything into a pan, not having to worry about cooking too much rice, or unsure of how much spice would be the perfect balance as everything came prepacked in the correct portions.
So, they managed to achieve the first promise of it being ‘simple’ and ‘easy’. The next questions was, what would the food would actually taste like, but it managed to achieve that too!
For me, it was great to try, I loved the service and would definitely consider doing it again or recommend it to others, especially if you find it hard work in the kitchen and need a bit of a helping hand. You get to try a diverse range of foods and can opt for your meals via their app before it is delivered, so you never will be eating the same thing day in day out. The food was yummy and the recipes although simple, worked well for a post-work dinner. Since then I have kept the recipe cards and here I have modified one to make my version of ‘Chermoula Spiced Halloumi with Bulgur Wheat and Chickpea Tabbouleh!
To find out more about Hello Fresh visit their website here!
400g Can of Chickpeas (drained)
1 Vegetable Stock Cube (with 300g boiling water)
150g Bulgur Wheat and Quinoa mix (available at Waitrose)
2 Vine Tomatoes (chopped)
1 Lemon (zested/juiced)
4-5 tbsp..0% Fat Greek Yoghurt
2 tsps. Paprika
1 tsp. Cumin
1 Clove of Garlic (chopped/crushed)
Salt and Pepper
– To make the side dressing, put the yoghurt into a small bowl and mix in half the lemon zest, half the mint and some salt. Set aside.
– Heat a splash of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chickpeas, paprika, cumin, garlic and parsley.
– Cook for a couple of minutes and then add the vegetable stock mix.
– Add the bulgur wheat and quinoa and then simmer for about 10-15 minutes until cooked. You may need to add more water occasionally, allowing it to be fully absorbed.
– Whilst the bulgur wheat is cooking fry the halloumi in some oil in a frying pan until golden brown on medium heat.
– Once cooked remove from the heat and drizzle with honey.
– Stir the tomatoes, rest of the lemon zest and mint into the bulgur wheat and chickpea mix. Add salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.
– Share the tabbouleh between two plates and top with the halloumi slices. Then add the yoghurt dressing.